How To Use Table Of Contents In Word
Last Updated : Nov 27, 2021
IN - Microsoft Word
In this article we will show you how to use table of contents in word, a table of content usually requires a lot of space. The best placement for the table of content is the Blank Page on the first page of the document.
Just follow the step by step guide below to know how to do this.
Step By Step Guide On How To Use Table Of Contents In Word :-
- Open the word on your PC.
- Select the document where you want to create a table of content.
- After opening the document, various options will appear at the top of the toolbar named as- File, insert, home, draw, design, layout, references, mailings, Review, view, and help.
- Among all these option-click the option of reference tab. It will show you various options for a table of contents, footnotes, research, citation and Bibliography, captions index, and table of authorities.
Click the option of the table of contents placed at the top left corner of the reference tab.
- The table of contents summarizes the document. After clicking this option A preset of the table of contents will appear on the screen. it comprises automatic table 1, automatic table 2, and Manual table. besides the built-in options, it also includes more tables of content from office.com, custom table of contents, remove table of contents.
- From all the preset designs of the table of content, choose the style that you want to use in your word document.
After choosing the style all the heading will appear in the document in an outline order along with the page number where each heading is mentioned.
- The difference between automatic tables 1 and 2 is of the word title which is the first automatic table is appeared as content and the second automatic table appears as a table of contents.
- In case you opt for the option manual table given in the drop-down menu then Ae template will appear on your screen that you need to edit as per your own convenience. In the manual table, there are Sab levels. Each level shows a heading style in your document.
- You can also customize the table of content at your own convenience.
- Again click on the option of a table of contents placed under the reference tab.
- From the drop-down menu click the option of the custom table of contents.
- A dialogue box will appear on your screen to show you various options regarding the customization of the appearance of the table of content.
You can customize whether to show page numbers or align the page numbers along with the formatting of the table of contents.
Under the General heading, you can change the format into distinctive, fancy, modern, formal, simple.
I hope this article on how to use table of contents in word helps you in this article, we covered an essential guide and the steps mentioned above are quite detailed and easy to follow. I hope this article solves your query.