How Do Artists Make Money From Spotify
Last Updated : May 9, 2022
IN - Spotify
In this article we will show you how do artists make money from Spotify, Spotify is one of the most popular and widely used music streaming platforms in the world.
It is an extremely dynamic app that serves not only the listeners, but acts as a platform for both, novice and professional artists to showcase and release their songs and tracks on the platform, for the world to see.
Apps like Spotify are of immense benefit for the artists as it not only provides them with a platform, but also helps them understand their audience better, their demands, receive feedbacks, experiment, and most of all, increases their chances of getting discovered by big companies in the industry and record labels.
There are several artists who started by uploading their songs on social media and gradually rose to bigger levels.
Since the music industry is highly volatile, another important question relates to royalty or to put simply, how do artists make money from Spotify?
If you are someone who is curious and wants to know about this more, you have come to the right place.
Step By Step Guide On How Do Artists Make Money From Spotify :-
- The first thing to understand is that artists make money from Spotify in the form of royalties on the basis of the number of streams on your songs.
- What this means is that every time someone streams your song, you get money. This payment is recorded by Spotify and given to the distributor who further transfers it to the artist.
- Another thing that is important to note is that Spotify only counts the streams that last longer than 30 seconds so as to prevent any bot streams on the platform.
- On an average, Spotify pays 0.003 - 0.0084 USD per stream. Distributors also take a cut from the earnings of the artists. However, the truth of the matter is that in reality, the artists don’t earn a lot of money because of several reasons.
- One is that the amount an artist gets paid per stream is not consistent and fluctuates due to several reasons.
- Another reason is that often the record labels or distributors who help such artists reach the Spotify platform, also get a cut from the payments.
- This further reduces the share left for the artists.
- The algorithm and payment policies are set in a way that an artists needs a large number of streams to actually start getting paid well.
This is how artists make money from Spotify, both in principle and reality and I hope this article on how do artists make money from Spotify helps you and the steps and method mentioned above are easy to follow and implement.